The Benefits of the (Baby) Cobra
I'm no yogi, but the cobra pose is a move that we love! It helps alleviate back pain and helps to stretch out our abdomen muscles. This is a mommy approved move, but of course always get approval from your doctor and/or pelvic floor physiotherapist! This pose, otherwise known as bhujangasana or the snake pose, not only helps relieve pain in the back, but it also helps with uneasiness in the muscles of the neck and abdomen. I should also mention that the cobra pose helps to manage stress, anxiety and depression!
Here are the top 4 reasons you should be getting your cobra on:
- Spine Strength: Get a good stretch in your back, but also strengthen your spine! Always be sure to speak with an expert and your doctor to see if you have any contraindications. This move helps to stimulate abdominal organs, which ultimately supports your digestive system since the stretching helps to gently massage your internal organs. Win/Win!
- Flattening Your Midsection: The cobra pose has been known to improve the belly bulge! The stretching move also acts as a strengthening move for your mommy midsection! Flatter tummy? Yes please!
- Farewell and So Long to Stress: If you practice the snake move, you reduce your stress levels ... seriously! Fatigue and headache has been shown to be positively impacted by its regular practice. C'mon mamas, do you need another reason to do this move?
- Improve Circulation: the cobra is known to improve blood circulation and with good blood circulation, your body cells will be supplied with enough nutrients and oxygen. Lastly, improved blood circulation will also help in keeping the hormone balance.
And if you're still not convinced, here are just a few other benefits of the cobra move:
- Decreases stiffness of the lower back
- Strengthens the arms and shoulders
- Increases flexibility
- Improves menstrual irregularities
- Elevates mood
- Firms and tones the buttocks
- Invigorates the heart
- Stimulates organs in the abdomen, like the kidneys
This week, start to include this move in your regimen to reap the benefits ... your mommy body will thank you later!
Happy Monday, mamas!
Yours in health,